Simon Smith, the amazing Head Chef from Tameside NHS Trust in Manchester, is helping you to lose weight by creating a lovely healthy recipe each week. This week he has a lovely variation on an omelette for us.
Eggs represent one of nature greatest nutritionally complete food sources. Each egg contains varied amounts of 13 vitamins and minerals and 6g of protein that our bodies need for growth, maintaining and regulating our internal systems and for brain growth.
In the UK we consume 34million eggs a day.
Eggs always have been and will continue to be an “Eggcellent” culinary choice for any meal.
Simon’s Catalan Omelette
- 3 medium eggs
- 10g red onion
- 30g diced pepper (mixture of colours)
- 30g chorizo
- 10g baby spinach
- small handful chives
- 1 tsp butter
- pinch of paprika
- Slice and wash the peppers and red onion and place in a bowl.
- Slice the chorizo and chives.
- In a small jug beat the eggs with a fork, add the chives and paprika to this mix.
- Heat a small omelette pan on a medium setting on your hob. At the same time turn on your grill for later.
- Melt butter in the pan, then add peppers and onions and allow to fry lightly until the peppers are soft.
- Increase the heat slightly and add the chorizo, cook for 30 seconds.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour the egg mixture into the pan.
- With a fork give the mixture a light stir so the mixture spreads over the whole base of the pan.
- Return to the heat and allow the omelette to cook and begin to set. After about 20 seconds place the pan under the grill and this will finish the surface of the omelette.
- When the surface of the omelette has cooked to a golden brown, loosen the edges of the omelette with a small knife and your Catalan Omelette should slide nicely onto your plate.